nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAP/ISP Saturation WAS: Re: Exchanges that matter...

From: Nathan Stratton <nathan () netrail net>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 10:06:27 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Jim Van Baalen wrote:

I have a question that fits this topic. Why does everybody seem to be so
sold on Gigaswitch based Xchange points? I know that the busiest, highest
membership NAPs are of this design, but with all the associated problems

I think the biggest reason the busiest and highest membership NAPs are
using Gigaswitches because they work. When we were looking for a switch for
the Atlanta-NAP we almost with with a Stratacom switch, but the Gigaswitch
looked like a better start. We plan on adding a Stratacom

It is my opinion that the most promising architecture today is PBNap. The
StrataCom switches far exceed Gigaswitch in addressing issues such as flow
control, buffering, and aggregate throughput (which may not be comparable
when, as with Gigaswitch, port congestion is such a bottleneck). In addition,
with new line cards due out early next year, the BPXs will support ABR and,
relatively speaking, huge buffers at high density OC3 and 2 port OC12.

Well when they get that out, and fix a few other problems it may be ready.

I know that ATM is a nasty word (or should I say acronym) to many on this list,
but even some of the greatest ATM critics admit that it is a reasonable LAN
technology. As far as the popular packet shredder (sp?) argument goes, I don't
think that it relevant on any switch that supports EPD.

Just curious to see other perspectives.

Jim

Nathan Stratton           CEO, NetRail, Inc.    Tracking the future today!
Phone   (703)524-4800                          NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (703)534-5033                          2007 N. 15 St. Suite 5
Email   sales () netrail net                      Arlington, Va. 22201
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about
itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."               Matthew 6:34