nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: John Curran <jcurran () bbnplanet com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 15:35:44 -0400

At 2:12 PM 4/30/96, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
Setting aside the technological barriers to such an arrangement, an
optimal configuration would be one in which all routing entities peer with
one another at all available locations, so as to provide the shortest path
between routing communities.

I believe that the optimal configuration would actually involve only
one routing entity and no peering at all.   I'm pleased that instead
we've implemented a model which (while not optimal) allows for a
growing Internet service provider industry.   Solutions which are
optimal under one constraint tend to degenerate in the real world.

Shortest-exit routing and equivalent distributed peering is used to
avoid settlements for transit costs.   If there's a strong demand
for dissimiliar peering, then it's likely to appear with settlements.

/John