nanog mailing list archives

Re: Peering Policies and Route Servers

From: Cengiz Alaettinoglu <cengiz () isi edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:12:40 -0700

Paul Ferguson (pferguso () cisco com) on April 29:
One detractor, to the best of my knowledge, is that the route servers are
not exactly 'dynamic', meaning that they are updated a couple of times
during the course of the day to reflect any changes in routing policy.
Therefore, the possibility for blackhole'ing packets exists.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remiss.  :-)

Yes, I will do that:-)

Route Servers are dynamic, they process upto 6000 routing updates a
minute (see http://compute.merit.edu/stats/mae-east/instability).

Route Servers are reconfigured with up to date policy 6 times a day,
i.e. every four hours. Hence, a brand new route registered in IRR may
not be announced by the route servers to the NSPs whose policies are
prefix based for up to at most 4 hours. I think this is what you are
referring to.

Cengiz

--
Cengiz Alaettinoglu           Information Sciences Institute
(310) 822-1511                University of Southern California