nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAVYJOBS.COM

From: Paul A Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 21:38:19 -0700

The thing I wonder now is that, if we have essentially unlimited
scalability of the DNS both technically and administratively, should
ISPs even _care_ about what names people choose to use?

People usually run out of brain cells before computers run out of memory.
So it is in this case; recall the longish message I sent to the IETF list
last year when .COM was getting a lot of air time, wherein I said:

Who can tell the difference between ACTIVELIFE.COM and ACTIVELIFESTYLE.COM?
Why is there an INTERNETMCI.COM and an MCI.COM?  Will I ever get a piece of
mail from TAMPAX.COM?  Are AFTERMIDNIGHT.COM and AFTERMIDNITE.COM the same
company?  What about AFTERMARKET.COM and AFTMKT.COM?

(I'll include the full text at the end for those who missed it the first time.)

Moreover, if time needs buying for you development wizard(s), how
much do you need and what should we be telling people in the interim?

This battle has essentially been lost.  .COM will not come back to usefulness
no matter what we do.  The YMBK proposal from the second NSF workshop will
almost certainly be the way of the future, and we will see a lot more TLD's
and hopefully no one of them will ever be as ugly as .COM is now.

What ISP's can do is stop registering trash domains.  Tell your users to put
their WWW pages in a domain park of some kind, rather than allocating a TLD
for every one-person "company" whose scope of operations is a local city or
neighborhood.

Anyway, here's the full text of my IETF article from last year: