nanog mailing list archives

Re: NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES

From: salo () msc edu (Tim Salo)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:32:34 -0500

From: Mark Kosters <markk () internic net>
Subject: Re: NEW POLICY ON INTERNET DOMAIN NAMES
To: chehoocheng () cuhk hk (Che-Hoo Cheng)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 10:03:19 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: nanog () merit edu
      [...]
Here is policy that a group of our lawyers and technical staff has put
together to try to solve the legal quandary that the InterNIC is currently
involved in. If there are any suggestions for improvements, let me or
Dave Graves (daveg () internic net) know.
      [...]
(c)  The use or registration of the Domain Name by Applicant does not interfere
with or infringe the right of any third party in any jurisdiction with respect
to trademark, service mark, tradename, company name or any other intellectual
property right;
      [...]

I read this to say that it may not be possible to submit a domain name
application without consulting a lawyer, searching tradmark and other
databases, and probably a bunch of other stuff.

"of any third party in any jurisdiction"???  Worldwide???

How about adding a phrase like "to the best of our knowledge" to these
sections?

-tjs