nanog mailing list archives

Re: US Domain -- County Delegations

From: Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot () ripe net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 11:48:03 +0200

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995 19:56:35 -0700  Paul A Vixie wrote:
Everyone, large and small, has to be treated as equally as possible.  And
the domain names have to be quite a lot uglier than they are now, such that
the tendancy to register under .NET,.COM,.ORG,etc just to protect the company
name or trademark(s) will no longer bear useful fruit for those who do it.

As far as I know, there is no 'congestion' on the 800-namespace.
maybe, one of the reasons is that these 'records' have a fixed, 7-digit
length, and 'vanity' numbers have the same length as ugly ones,
spreading the load.

Maybe we should enforce a minimum length on any complete domain name?

Geert Jan