nanog mailing list archives

Re: Routing registry was Re: Sprint BGP filters in 207.x.x.x?

From: bmanning () ISI EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 14:05:38 -0800 (PST)

OK.  So WHY AREN"T people using the routing registry?  If they did would
they be able to get around individual peering and transit agreements?  Is
it a chicken and egg thing.  IE what percentage of global routes does the
registry have?  how does the registry as it stands now save people time,
trouble or money?

        for answers to some of these questions, I would point you
        at the following URL:
        http://www.merit.edu/routing.arbiter/RA/index.html

        The IRR has little to do with peering & transit, other
        than to reflect agreements.

        Other questions will have to be answered by people in
        the community.  Many people do register in the IRR.
        Those that don't, won't for a variety of reasons. For some,
        there is an unwillingness to trust a thirdparty operator
        coupled with no desire to run a portion of the registry in-house.
        When these two conditions are found in a large-scale provider,
        the concept and implementation of the Internet RR are
        frustrated to the extent that the non-participating provider
        becomes increasingly unreachable/understandable.  They
        are relegated to peridoc public postings to mailing lists
        for definitions of their routing policies.

        I expect that the example set by other large-scale providers
        would be an incentive.  Running a section of the IRR inhouse
        shows a spirit of cooperation and a desire to share in the
        global internet. Refusal to do so appears, at least to me,
        to be an arrogant, egotistical view about any specific providers
        importance to a working global internet.

--bill