nanog mailing list archives

Re: CIDR FAQ

From: poole () eunet ch (Simon Poole)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 19:49:31 +0200 (MET DST)

Yakov writes:

The most serious problem we're facing is NOT how to route to the existing
allocations, but how we're going to route to all the new allocations that are
due to the exponential growth of the Internet.

From this and an earlier mail (somewhere you said we should "deploy CIDR")
I sense some kind of fundamental problem in this discussion.

From -my- point of view CIDR -is- deployed:

        - we've been allocating from provider blocks for probably two
          years now, and the number of prefixes announced has been
          growing -very- slowly (with respect to -new- allocation
          of addresses), even with customers not returning their addresses
          when they leave us. Do you have -any- hard data that anything
          else is happening at a global scale?

        - there is naturally a tendency for the provider address space
          to fragment over time, however do we have -any- data that this
          is causing any of the problems we are seeing (it surely isn't
          creating a large increase in prefixes -now-)?

        - nearly -all- of the prefixes we announce are pre-CIDR allocations
          (B and quite a large number of C's (that we are trying to clean
          up)), I don't believe this to be different with any other ISP.

Yakov, if you have data that CIDR is -not- working for new allocations
please present it here.

Simon