nanog mailing list archives

NACR's and CIDR blocks

From: Michael Dillon <michael () okjunc junction net>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 19:50:04 +0000

On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Susan Hares wrote:

NACRs were so big headache that our implementation people dance
around when they hear that there won't be any NACRs.

We've provided several phone tutorials to those people submitting
NACRs on CIDR and aggregation.   Over the phone tutorials
of this material are a little difficult at best.  I even offered to
discuss this in a meeting here in Ann Arbor, but that offer
was not accepted.

Your people seem to rotate through the NACR submission process
without the benefit of training in CIDR.  I suspect their frustration
with NACRs has come in part from their lack of understanding.

In the past 5 months there have been massive changes to the NSFNET/ANSnet
and to the Internet.  These changes cause stress for us all -
but lack of training aids unnecessary burdens to us all.

Are you aware of the ACM article by Harald Eidnes available in Postscript
form at ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/misc/eidnes-cidr.ps.Z  ?

Does anyone know if there is a WWW site or gopher that has a collection
of tutorial level documents. For many neophytes RFC's and stuff like the
PRIDE documents can be somewhat intimidating to dig into.

BTW, I changed prs () isi edu up there to rps () isi edu ;-))

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-549-1036
Network Operations                                  Fax: +1-604-542-4130
Okanagan Internet Junction                     Internet: michael () junction net
http://www.junction.net  -  The Okanagan's 1st full-service Internet provider