nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comments

From: Stephen Wolff <steve () nsf gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 12:08:58 -0500 (EDT)

IMHO - this is not my employers opinion - some guidelines might be in
order.  I suggest the following (excuse the style here - just trying
to be as unambiguous as possible):
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
          .
NSF has made it clear that it does not want to be in the regulatory
business.  But if larger providers attempt unfair settlements
something like this might be neccesary.  Perhaps some other government
entity might end up stepping in.  We can only hope that things just
work out or that NSF is at least asked for advise before any
regulation is attempted.

NSF is not contemplating guidelines.  We hope the industry will evolve
something better than N**2.  If predatory practice becomes evident, we'll
be happy to arbitrate.  If anti-competitive behavior emerges, we'll be
happy to remind those disadvantaged of their rights under existing law.

-s