Metasploit mailing list archives

Caching seems to interfere with search

From: Juergen Fiedler <juergen.fiedler () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:13:41 -0400

Hello,

I have two up-to-date metasploit v4.4.0, one on plain Debian (sid) ad
one on Ubuntu (11.4).
For the Debian installation, I followed the instructions for
installation from svn slavishly.
With Ubuntu, I played around a little, which resulted in database
integration not working.

Now, when I start msfconsole on Ubuntu, and issue (for example) a
'search cve:2009 type:exploit app:client', I get a warning message:
=======[SNIP]=======
[-] Warning: database not connected or cache not built, falling back
to slow search
=======[SNIP]=======
and after a little bit, I get oodles of results.

On Debian, I get the same behavior if I start the search right after
msfconsole comes up.
After a while, when I do the same search, I  get nothing. Not one result.
Some other searches, like 'search ssh' still return results, so
searching is not completely broken.
Other data retrieval queries (hosts, services, etc.) seem to work fine.

Has anybody else seen similar behavior, and maybe even found out how
to fix that?
Do I maybe just have to wait until the module cache is rebuilt?
Is there any way to check on the progress on that?

Thanks,
 --Juergen