Metasploit mailing list archives

msfconsole 'db_driver' command reported as 'Unknown command'

From: George Birmingham <sec_engineer () roadrunner com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:10:26 -0400

Greetings,

I have two different systems running Metasploit with the msfconsole at 4.4.0-dev [core:4.4 api:1.0] on one system and at v4.3.0-release [core:4.3 api:1.0] on the other and neither instance will recognize the 'db_driver' command. As a result, I am unable to use MySql as my database and am being locked into PostgreSQL database use only. When I originally built both systems ( around 9/2/2011), the msfconsole was at 4.0.0-release, and the db-driver command worked fine. I know this because I built an msfconsole.rc script to allow me to choose either PostgreSQL or MySQL as the active database on launching msfconsole, and it utilizes the db_driver command.

I regularly run msfupdate, but I did not pay close attention as to when the versions had changed over time. Today when I launched msfconsole I get the 'Unknown command: db_driver' error, and cannot use my MySQL database. I performed a non-exhaustive Google search on this problem and see that a number of people have been seeking an answer to this same problem.

Am I doing something wrong, or has the command be removed ? And if the command has been removed, are we now locked into PostgreSQL database use only ?

Thanks for your time...!

Best regards,

George Birmingham
sec_engineer () roadrunner com