Metasploit mailing list archives

MSP Thin Rails permission issue

From: RDD IT <rdd37it () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:30:40 -0500

Hello,
I've downloaded and installed Pro (for a trial) using 'metasploit-latest-linux-x64-installer.run' on an Ubuntu 10.04 64
bit system. I chose not to install as a service, so after installation, I attempt to manually start the services using
'./ctlscript.sh start'. Although the script reports that all services start successfully, netstat does not show a
service listening on 3001/tcp, and subsequently './ctlscript.sh status' reports:metasploit is stoppedpostgresql already
runningprosvc is runningnginx is running
I dug around for awhile and it looks like the following error in apps/pro/ui/log/thin.log may be related:>> Writing PID
to log/thin.pid>> Using rails adapter>>
Exiting!/opt/metasploit-4.1.2/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rails-2.3.5/lib/initializer.rb:902:in `read': Permission
denied - /opt/metasploit-4.1.2/apps/pro/ui/config/database.yml (Errno::EACCES)
I've run all commands as root, so file/directory permissions should not be an issue. Does this suggest that the
database credentials in database.yml file don't align with those created in the postgres install process? Any
suggestions?
Thank you.