Metasploit mailing list archives

msfconsole and OpenVAS bridge fails to execute openvas_target_create command...

From: George Birmingham <sec_engineer () roadrunner com>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 17:28:35 -0400

Greetings. I am attempting to use the OpenVAS bridge with Metasploit 4.0.0.1-dev and thus far I have had limited success in performing my first scan. OpenVAS-4 is installed and I can run a scan against my home router through the Greenbone Security assistant web interface with no problems. I have searched rather thoroughly for any notes on this problem before reaching out to the framework list for assistance.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04.1 in VMWare Player on a Windows 7 dual-core system. The network is bridged and has full internet access as well as local network access to the intended target. I am running Metasploit Framework: 4.0.1-dev.13502, Console: 4.0.1-dev.13581, and OpenVAS 4. Metasploit and OpenVAS are running on the same Ubuntu system. Ubuntu has had the */apt-get update/* and */apt-get upgrade/* commands executed often as I have been working on building out this system. The */msfupdate/* command has been executed multiple times as well.

I have enabled both PostgreSQL and MySQL database capabilities in Metasploit and with the commands I have used thus far, the successes and failures are identical no matter which database I am connected to. Both database systems seem to respond as expected to a db_nmap command, so I believe they are in working order.

msf>OpenVAS_connect and msf>openvas_disconnect commands work just fine with both the 'admin' user and a regular OpenVAS user (msfuser) that has either admin
or user privileges.

The command that I am having a problem with is:

*/msf>
msf>  openvas_target_create Router 192.168.20.1 Netgear
[-] Error executing
msf>
/ *
I even tried executing the example command:

msf>  openvas_target_create

Example: openvas_target_create mylocalhost 127.0.0.1 MyLocalHostComment

and even that did not work.

Any thoughts as to why this would not work and where I could look for what might be causing the problem ? I'm glad to do the legwork so I can learn how this works, but I am at a loss as to understand what the problem could be. This is a reasonably simple command. I have Wireshark available on this system if traces on the 'lo' interface would be of value.

I will greatly appreciate any help or guidance you would be willing to offer. Thanks for your time.

I sincerely apologize for sending this a second time. I realized that my first submission was sent from an e-mail account other than the one I registered for use. Also this is my first submission. If, by chance, I am violating any protocol of the group in this submission, I will gladly accept corrections to the procedure. I'd like to get this right and I earnestly need your help.

Warmest regards,

George Birmingham
Huntersville, NC, USA