Metasploit mailing list archives

[O/T] Building useful wordlists

From: Konrads Smelkovs <konrads.smelkovs () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 22:44:25 +0200

Hello MSF community,

I need to build wordlists for Estonian, Latvian & Lithuanian languages
(Latin based alphabet with 5-8 more extra  letters than English). I couldn't
find any real-life password wordlists freely available for these languages.
I want/need a password dictionary for both online cracking and offline.
Common sense says that most passwords will be in respective native languages
with some mix of English. My current approach is take a myspell dictionary,
unmunch, take words 1-6 and 7-8 chars long, run through john -rules and try
this.
Other option is to use rockyou / phpbb passwords [1] and hope it works, but
I suspect it is very US centric.

What are community's thoughts?
[1] -
http://www.skullsecurity.org/blog/2010/the-ultimate-faceoff-between-password-lists