Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: ms10_061_spoolss.rb working for anyone?

From: "Joshua J. Drake" <jdrake () metasploit com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:54:35 -0500

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:51:29AM -0600, hacksauce wrote:
On a XP SP3 VM (VMware) I created a printer (there isn't really a
printer there) and shared it. When I run the exploit I get :

I checked the victim, and 2hvWFCf29WnRxV.exe doesn't exist in the
system32 folder.
I've attached the output of filemon (filtered on system32) while the
exploit is running, and I don't see the exploit exe being created.
I've checked at and I'm not seeing a scheduled task at all.

I saw this kind of behavior when the target system was already
patched. Double-check that the patch hasn't been installed by
following the guidance in Microsoft's bulletin.

1. Does the printer have to physically exist? I noticed that when I
changed the port from lpt to file, I get jobs queued up, that need to
be saved...

It shouldn't need to exist. Jobs queuing up is also points towards the
patch already being applied.

2. When the exploit succeeds, is there an job left in the scheduled
tasks folder?

No. It will run only once. The exe will remain in the system32 folder
though.

--
Joshua J. Drake