Metasploit mailing list archives

Meterpreter unexpectedly closes

From: Miguel Rios <miguelrios35 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,
I've msfencoded a meterpreter reverse https payload using a win binary as a template. Everything seems to work fine
when I test it in my XP SP3.
I see the outbound connection and the process running, but after about
a minute or so the process dies if there's no listener configured on
the receiving end and doesn't respawn.
What am I doing wrong here? I
must be missing something obvious. Is there a timeout option for this
reverse shell or a way to keep the process always running, even if it
can't connect to the listener? Or is this due to msfencoding the
payload somehow breaks it? I have tested that it does work properly when the listener is waiting for it, it's just the
fact it timesout so quickly that is a pain.

Also, saw the reverse_tcp allports payload and
was wondering if there's a similar one for reverse meterpreter https.
Ideally one could configure default ports to try 1st and then keep
trying randomly the other 65000 or so to evade IDS. I know this would
increase the payload size but it would be pretty stealth egress wise.

Thanks. I do really love metasploit and the whole community behind it. You all rock.

Miguel