Metasploit mailing list archives

why metasploit is so slow?

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 23:39:16 -0600

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 13:47 +0900, takuan wrote:
Part of the reason is because it is written in Ruby, a "scripting
language". Scripting languages (PHP, Perl, Ruby, Python, JavaScript,
etc...) by their nature are slower than native code (C, assembly,
etc...).

Part of it is that ruby 1.8.x has a slow parser, the other part is that
metasploit is the biggest ruby project in existence right now. About
half of the initial load time for msfconsole is just loading lib/msf and
lib/rex from disk into memory, the other half is the module loading.
Once Ruby 1.9 stops being quite as broken, we can move there to improve
some things, but metasploit will likely to stay piggish for a while due
to the size and amount of code.

Regarding complaints; keep them coming, it gives us motivation to fix
things that right now we grumble about and accept :-)

-HD