Metasploit mailing list archives

mcafee Entercept

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:42:18 -0500

There are a ton of ways to get around HIPS products like these,
unfortunately, as soon as we include them, the vendors will detect the
new method and work around it. Copying the shellcode to a different
segment before executing it bypasses a large chunk of these products
(they look for LoadLibrary with a return address on the stack, etc). If
you want a quick and dirty way to test this, set the 'Prepend' of the
chosen exploit to an assembly stub that copies the shellcode to a "good"
page (the .data of a DLL, some random memory mapping, etc).

A really good tool for testing HIPS implementations is SLIPFEST:
http://slipfest.cr0.org/

-HD