Metasploit mailing list archives

Example of an exploit module writing to a file

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:39:03 -0800

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:08:05AM -0600, ri0t wrote:
Can anyone point me to a current exploit module that creates a
malicious file for exploitation?   i can use ruby's File.new  but i
did not know if there was a REX method to do this that was built into
the framework

At the moment I'm not aware of any exploits that write their contents to
an output file.  The majority of file-based exploits (such as ANI, WMF,
etc) all create a hosted web server that waits for incoming connections.
It would probably be worth creating a mixin to allow more uniform
handling of file-based exploits that would support writing the contents
of the file to disk.  Part of the problem is that, at present, Metasploit
assumes that it needs to wait for a session to be established after
exploitation (depending on the payload).  It sounds like we'd need to
provide a way to tell the framework that a particular target will not be
creating a session, regardless of whether or not the payload indicates
that it will.

HD, am I missing any exploits that do this?  I thought we had some but I
wasn't able to dig any up.