Metasploit mailing list archives

meterpreter detected by virus software

From: pcriscuolo at gmail.com (Paul Criscuolo)
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 23:22:57 -0600

On a recent engagement, Symantec Antivirus detected the dll injection
that meterpreter uses.  I was able to exploit different boxes with a
variety of exploits and used the reverse tcp meterpreter as the
payload.  The dll injection completed successfully, but as soon as I
attempted to load a module, usually the priv in version 3 revision
5140, it just hung.

I attempted to kill the antivirus with the killav command, but no
love.  I had to create a username and password after dropping into a
command shell and then manually killing the antivirus processes.  Has
anyone else seen this?  I am a little confused as to how the AV
detected it.  Any suggestions on how to get around this by maybe
modifying the payloads before an engagement?

Any help is appreciated.