Metasploit mailing list archives

Exploit module without any payload (looking for suggestions)

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:12:52 -0700

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 07:11:44PM +0000, Kashif Iftikhar wrote:
Hello,

 I just finished creating a module to put files on web servers where
the HTTP PUT method is allowed without any restrictions. The issue I
am facing is that I got the stuff done during the exploitation phase
(if it can be called that) but MSF still requires a payload to be
specified. One can select any payload and it still works because the
exploit module never calls in the payload.

 I was wondering if there is a way to specify no payload for an exploit.

 Also, since I am not really "exploiting" a bug, just a
mis-configuration, would it make sense to define a new payload for
this?

 Secondly, would it be suitable to include this as an auxiliary module?

 Currently I have added it under:

      modules/exploits/multi/http/http_put

This is the perfect example of something that would be best implemented
as an auxiliary module.  This will get rid of the payload requirement
and give you more flexibility.