Metasploit mailing list archives

svn branches

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:23:39 -0500

On Monday 09 April 2007 19:10, Alexander Sotirov wrote:
Didn't you say that you were going to branch the framework when 3.0 was
released? Since everybody who has downloaded the release so far is
tracking the trunk now, I guess the trunk will be the stable branch,
which means that we need a dev branch.

The trunk is the development branch, the 3.0 tag is the stable branch. All
stable downloads of 3.0 use the 3.0 tag for online updates via
Subversion. I realize this is non-standard (where tags are used to mark
releases and branches are used to maintain a version), but with the
tarballs of the original release available, I don't see any problem using
the tags this way.

Changes in the 3.1-dev tree (trunk), including exploits, are merged to the
3.0 tag once they are tested. Once the 3.1 release is completed, users
will be able to do a version-upgrade with a subversion command (either
svn switch or just by checking out the new tag and replacing the old).

Maybe there is one already, but
svn ls http://metasploit.com/svn/framework3/branches/ gives a 403

The branches directory isn't being used right now.

You should also tag the 3.0 release with a tag and list it on the web
page so that people know how to checkout a specific release.

Good point about letting people know about alternate releases, but since
we only have one release, managing them hasn't been an issue so far :)

Are there any plans for adding exploits to old releases of the
framework? When 3.1 is released, are you going to keep updating 3.0
with new exploits, or is it going to be completely replaced by 3.1?

The 3.0 release will be completely replaced by 3.1. Maintenance of 3.0
stops when 3.1 stable is cut. Since the 3.0 tag is very nearly 3.1-dev
(we merge the bug fixes and interesting changes into stable), there isn't
much reason to keep maintaining the old release branch.

-HD