Metasploit mailing list archives

strange problem whith network enabled payloads

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:40:45 -0500

On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 11:27:30AM -0700, arahzone-msf at yahoo.com wrote:
Hi,

  I have created a simple program that listen on a socket and
copy(strcpy) the received data to another buffer that is smaller than
the buffer used in receive() . I am able to use payloads that dont use
winsock such as "execute command" sucessfully but all payloads that use
Winsocks crash. I have debugged the complete process the payload is
copied correctly to the target buffer on the stack and the execution
flow is redirected to the begining of the payload. The problem is just
after the Loadlibrary(ws_32). this call return the correct address of
ws_32.dll but the next call contain a ADD [DS:EAX],AL and I have an
acess violation on this instruction. As the "execute command"  payload
works correctly and I am redirecting the execution flow exactly at the
begining of the payload I really dont know what is going wrong.

This sounds like a payload truncation issue.  This could be related to
bad characters.  Did you specify 0x00 as being a bad character for the
exploit you're working with?