Metasploit mailing list archives

Version 2.3 Updates - April 14th, 2005

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 03:26:44 -0500

Hello everyone,

It has been a slow month for Framework development, but we managed to get
a couple updates out anyways. Thanks again to everyone who found our
April Fools joke funny (and told us so), nice to see how many Metasploit
users have a sense of humor :-)

The Press section of the metasploit.com website now has a new subsection
for books. We compiled a list of technical books that reference the
Metasploit Project. If you have have seen the project mentioned in a book
that is not listed on the website, please drop us an email.
 - http://metasploit.com/books.html

Syngress has been kind of enough to publish a sample chapter for the
_Sockets, Shellcode, Porting, and Coding_ book. The sample chapter is
titled "Writing Exploits III" and demonstrates how to use the Metasploit
Framework to write reliable, remote exploits. If you have been
dissapointed by the amount of developer documentation available,
definitely take a look at this chapter:
 - http://www.syngress.com/book_catalog/327_SSPC/sample.pdf

Oreilly has published a new security book, titled _Network Security
Tools_, that also has a chapter covering the Metasploit Framework. The
example code for this book contains two new exploit modules for the
Framework.
 - http://examples.oreilly.com/networkst/

Matt Miller, one of the core Metasploit developers and the man who created
Meterpreter, has just released version 0.9.4 of WehnTrust. WehnTrust is
the first real Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) engine for the
Windows platform. WehnTrust can randomize the stack, heap, and module
load addresses, while still handling relocations in a sane way. WehnTrust
is free for use by home users and can be downloaded from the Wehnus
website. This is the first real public release and users are encouraged
to report bugs if any problems are encountered.
 - http://www.wehnus.com/

If any list members are attending Cansecwest 2005, drop us an email
(msfdev[at]metasploit.com) if you want to grab a beer at the conference.

-HD