Metasploit mailing list archives

BETA: Samba trans2open Buffer Overflow (Solaris/SPARC)

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:06:39 -0600

Attached is *beta* exploit module for the trans2open() overflow affecting
Samba versions 2.2.8 and below. If you have a Solaris/SPARC box handy and
already run a vulnerable version of Samba (or don't mind installing it),
I would appreciate any feedback. This version will not work on systems
configured with non-executable stacks. This is a relatively easy fix, as
it just requires fingerprinting the heap address where NetBIOS dialects
are stored during negotiation...

The biggest compatibility issue is going to be the stack base address;
this address changes a bit between OS versions and the MMU in the
hardware. Use a TARGET value of '0' for Solaris 9 systems and a value of
'1' for Solaris 7 and 8. If the exploit fails, please drop me an email
(off-list) with the following information:

1) Output of uname -a
2) Version of Samba (between 2.2.0 and 2.2.8 [not 2.2.8a])
3) The stack base address, obtained via the command:
# pmap $$ | tail -2

Thanks!

-HD

PS. For those new to the Framework, you can install this module by copying
it into the ./exploits subdirectory and preserving the original filename.