Metasploit mailing list archives

Interesting WINS exploit analysis

From: hdm at metasploit.com (H D Moore)
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 03:05:27 -0600

Any chance you could forward me a copy of this off-list? There are
actually two different WINS vulnerabilities; a buffer overflow and an
arbitrary memory overwrite. Supposedly the memory overwrite will only
work on Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. The memory overwrite
vulnerability is the one exploited by the wins_ms04-045.pm module. The
buffer overflow should be portable across OS versions, but I didn't have
time to look into the vector yet. Any traffic dumps and/or code would be
handy :-)

-HD