Metasploit mailing list archives

Re: vnc reverse question

From: mmiller at hick.org (mmiller at hick.org)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:33:51 -0500

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:13:58PM -0500, Neil wrote:
Good thing you mentioned about "no installation and does nothing intrusive
to the actual machine". I am actually a little concerned with metasploit's
exploits. Are there exploits bundled with metasploit that actually modifies
something in the target system? I would like to know because I don't want
our production server having a strain after I test it.

So before I do it in PROD, I would like to know first if that's the case.

I'm not currently aware of any exploits in MSF that would have unrecoverable
negative effects on the machine.  However, with that said, there are
exploits that can cause the machine to crash or be forced to be rebooted
after (potentially failed) exploitation.  With this in mind, I would
highly recommend that you be cautious when using any sort of exploit,
whether one from inside MSF or outside, on production machines.  If they
must be tested against production machines and can't be tested in a lab
then I would recommend that you schedule a maintenance window or
something where you can test it at off-peak hours, else you risk potential
downtime in the worst case scenario.  It's really a judgement call on
your part, though.