Information Security News mailing list archives

University of Minnesota announces three-year collaboration with Target on cyber security education

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 10:04:12 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.infosecnews.org/university-of-minnesota-announces-three-year-collaboration-with-target-on-cyber-security-education/

By William Knowles
Senior Editor
InfoSec News
October 10, 2019

The University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering announced on Wednesday, October 8, 2019, a three-year collaboration with Target that includes a $250,000 donation from Target to fund programs that will educate the next generation of cybersecurity experts. The collaboration will kick off tonight at Target's Cyber Security Day at the University of Minnesota, an event for students interested in cybersecurity careers.

The donation, provided by Target's Cyber Security department, is Target's first major gift to the University's College of Science and Engineering. The gift helps build course curriculum and offers hands-on information security experiences, student scholarships, fellowships, and grants, as well as opportunities for students to network with cybersecurity experts.

"We're grateful to Target for supporting the University in our efforts to build the pipeline of high-tech workers in this state and around the world," said Mostafa Kaveh, dean of the University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering. "When industry and academia work together to solve problems, great things can happen. We look forward to collaborating with Target for many years."

One of the highlights of the new collaboration is a year-long, in-depth capstone project in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering where the University and Target will provide students with hands-on technical experience prior to graduation. In this course, the instructor and students will work with leadership at Target to solve a real-world industry problem and develop innovative solution considerations.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/