Information Security News mailing list archives

Notorious FIN7 crooks have new malicious code up their sleeves

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 10:03:49 +0000 (UTC)

https://www.cyberscoop.com/fin7-fireeye-new-malware/

By Sean Lyngaas
CYBERSCOOP
October 10, 2019

Cybersecurity researchers have discovered two new tools used by a prolific hacking group known as FIN7, highlighting how, despite a law enforcement crackdown, the group appears to be thriving and making a lot of money in the process.

The Eastern European hacking crew, which researchers say has stolen over $1 billion from victims in recent years, is using a new “dropper” to deliver its malicious code, as well as a payload that tampers with a remote IT administration tool, cybersecurity company FireEye said Thursday.

Mandiant, FireEye's incident response arm, discovered the new tools while responding to recent FIN7 hacks in the hospitality industry. It appears the attackers are going after their usual targets — payment card processors -- to try to steal money.

"We have multiple ongoing victims and felt that, especially within the security industry, [this was information] we needed to get out there" to raise awareness, said Regina Elwell, principal threat analyst at FireEye.

[...]
--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
https://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/