Information Security News mailing list archives

IRS Employee Took Home Data on 20,000 Workers at Agency

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:30:47 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-18/irs-employee-took-home-data-on-20-000-workers-at-agency.html

By Richard Rubin
Bloomberg
March 18, 2014

A U.S. Internal Revenue Service employee took home a computer thumb drive containing unencrypted data on 20,000 fellow workers, the agency said in a statement today.

The tax agency’s systems that hold personal data on hundreds of millions of Americans weren’t breached, the statement said.

“This incident is a powerful reminder to all of us that we must do everything we can to protect sensitive data –- whether it involves our fellow employees or taxpayers,” IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said in a message to employees. “This was not a problem with our network or systems, but rather an isolated incident.”

The IRS is contacting the current and former employees involved, almost all of whom worked in Pennsylvania, Delaware and New Jersey. The information dates to 2007, before the IRS started using automatic encryption.

[...]

--
Find the best IT Security talent without breaking your recruiting budget.
Jobs cross-posted to Simply Hired, Facebook and LinkedIn.