Information Security News mailing list archives

HIMSS14: 10 healthcare data security challenges

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:11:13 +0000 (UTC)

http://healthitsecurity.com/2014/02/24/himss14-10-healthcare-data-security-challenges/

By Mac McMillan
Health IT Security
February 24, 2014

This week many of us will head off to the HIMSS14 annual conference in Orlando. For some this will represent a break from this years harsh winter weather, for others a welcome break from the routine and a chance to see what’s new, and for others a chance to look for that thing they have been wanting to add to their program.

I hope it will also be a chance for some to get more familiar with the privacy and security challenges that face this industry and learn from many of the great sessions that will be presented on these topics. Maybe even come by and see David Holtzman and I on Wednesday talk about risk management in the context of the OCR’s audit results and others analysis. To help focus your selection of sessions to attend and things to talk to others about, I decided to provide my list of top 10 security challenges to consider.

1. Insider abuse -- Not a popular topic, but none the less a very important one as insider misuse of privileges continues to plague us and contribute to a lot of the lost devices, stolen data, fraud and medical identity theft we experience. There are solutions that help us monitor more closely what insiders are doing.

2. Medical devices -- A huge issue and one that HIMSS actually has devoted a preshow workshop to. Medical devices are not secure and present a risk to the networks and the people they are connected to. Providers bear the brunt of this issue because manufacturers don’t have standards and the FDA has been reluctant to regulate them.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/