Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: 99% of future IT workforce does not understand basic concepts of secure coding: Jay Bavisi

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:11:50 +0000 (UTC)

Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>

Says the man running EC-Council, who's web site was defaced multiple times
this weekend.

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, InfoSec News wrote:

: http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/secure-coding-jay-bavisi-ec-council-nasscom-hcl/1/203605.html
:
: By Manu Kaushik
: Business Today
: February 22, 2014
:
: The National Cyber Security Policy released by Indian government last year
: aims to create a workforce of 500,000 cybersecurity professionals in the next
: five years and build a training infrastructure through the
: public-private-partnership (PPP) model. Malaysia-based Jay Bavisi, President,
: EC-Council, a company that is involved in training and certification of
: cybersecurity professionals, says that the situation is worrisome for India as
: far as cybersecurity is concerned. The US-based EC-Council came into the
: limelight last year when reports emerged that Edward Snowden, the man who
: turned whistleblower against the National Security Agency and revealed its
: global spying programme, was trained at one of its training institute in New
: Delhi in 2010. Edited excerpts:
:
:
: Q. How prepared is India against growing cybersecurity threats?
:
: A. The problem that we are facing with hacking actually stems from the
: inability of coders to actually code securely. In India, we ran a competition
: where we partnered with more than 100 colleges, NASSCOM, HCL and several other
: large corporations. The results showed that almost 99 per cent of the future
: IT workforce in India does not understand the basic concepts of secure coding.
:
: We think that a better model is that every single developer, before he/she
: touches a code, has to be security-conscious. In India, the financial sector
: is extremely vulnerable because of the sheer risk associated with the sector.
: Then come defence, IT and telecom. But I think the risk is sector-agnostic.
: There's a major risk for India simply because it's a leading exporter of
: software in the world.
:
:
: Q. You are working with various government departments in India. What has your
: experience been?
:
: A. We are working with at least 15 government departments. We have trained law
: enforcement agencies, defence communities and peripheral agencies. Our
: engagement with government agencies is something we would not like to discuss
: due to confidentiality issues.
:
: [...]
: