Information Security News mailing list archives

'i2Ninja' Trojan Taps Anonymized Darknet

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 06:15:15 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.informationweek.com/security/vulnerabilities-and-threats/i2ninja-trojan-taps-anonymized-darknet/d/d-id/1112730

By Mathew J. Schwartz
InformationWeek
11/21/2013

Beware a new, Russian-built banking Trojan, dubbed i2Ninja, that uses an anonymizing cryptographic network to mask its related botnet communications.

That warning comes via IBM's Trusteer, which has spotted the malware for sale on underground Russian cybercrime forums.

"The i2Ninja [malware] takes its name from the malware's use of I2P -- a networking layer that uses cryptography to allow secure communication between its peer-to-peer users," said Trusteer security researcher Etay Maor in a blog post. "While this concept is somewhat similar to Tor and Tor services, I2P was designed to maintain a true Darknet -- an Internet within the Internet where secure and anonymous messaging and use of services can be maintained."

I2P stands for the Invisible Internet Project, a still-in-beta project described by its developers as "a computer network layer that allows applications to send messages to each other pseudonymously and securely." The software can also be used for surfing the web and transferring files anonymously, courtesy of HTTP proxies.

[...]

--
Dean Bushmiller teaches a great 5-Day CISM in Albany NY Dec. 2  6.
Call 327-937-9786 for details.