Information Security News mailing list archives

Spreading the word about cybersecurity

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 00:22:10 -0500 (CDT)

http://fcw.com/articles/2013/05/15/cybersecurity-evangelism.aspx

By Amber Corrin
FCW.com
May 15, 2013

Say you're a beef inspector. Or a firefighter. Or a doctor treating critically ill patients. Do you think much about cybersecurity? Is it integrated into your daily work routine? The answer probably is no -- but federal officials are hoping to change that.

Cybersecurity already ranks as a top priority at agencies such as the Defense Department, Homeland Security department or in the intelligence community. Increasingly, cyber awareness is spreading throughout the government, but those in charge of implementing IT security into daily operations are finding it is difficult to catch up with threats, let alone get ahead of the curve.

Often, these types of responsibilities fall into the hands of the chief information security officer, or CISO. That's usually the person saying, no, you cannot use your personal iPhone on federal networks, or no, you should not plug that jump drive you just found into your work computer. The CISO also must find ways to keep agencies safe from cyber threats.

"We don't have a big stick. People assume we say, 'you do this,' and that's the end of the discussion," said Chris Lowe, associate CIO and CISO at the Agriculture Department. "At different organizations that may be the case...but in a loosely federated civilian space, it's very hard to say do it or else, because 'or else' means I'll just have to work around you."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org