Information Security News mailing list archives

How I was hacked -- a tale of hijack, XBox Live and FIFA trading cards

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 03:21:47 -0600 (CST)

http://venturebeat.com/2011/12/04/how-i-was-hacked-a-tale-of-hijack-xbox-live-and-fifa-trading-cards/

By Dan Crawley
GamesBeat
December 4, 2011

This week, my Xbox Live account was hacked. This is the story of what happened, my response to it, and the questions about security that it has raised.

The hijack

At twelve minutes past midnight on Tuesday night, just as I was finishing up some work, I received an email to say that I had purchased 6,000 Microsoft Points. My first thought was to laugh it off as spam, as I hadn’t bought any points for months, but I thought I should check my console anyway. On switching on my Xbox, I found that I could no longer access my account.

A quick Google search revealed that other Xbox users had been experiencing similar problems, and I realized that my account had been compromised. I tried to contact Xbox Live support, but its helpline was unhelpfully shut for the night.

Trying to think clearly, despite my somewhat bleary late-night state of mind, I logged into my Microsoft account on my PC, and changed the password. I then went through the process of recovering my Xbox Live account on my console dashboard, which involved entering my Windows Live ID and the new password. On seeing my account again, I was relieved, but also surprised to note that it had been used to play FIFA 12, the popular Electronic Arts soccer game.

[...]