Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Deciphering the hacker myth

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:45:11 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Aj Effin Reznor <aj () reznor com>

"InfoSec News was known to say....."

http://news.com.com/2008-1082-829812.html

By Rachel Konrad
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
February 5, 2002, 12:00 PM PT

Newsmakers - Sarah Gordon doesn't dye her hair black or wear a nose
ring, and neither do the people she studies.

Wow, I've never seen an entire subculture so rapidly reduced to a
formulaic equation in such a short exspanse of words!

It seems as tho much confusion exists within the researcher between
hackers, crackers, virus writers, and any true criminal subsets of
those classes, as well as the existant ignorance that many people
straddle lines between two or even three of those classifications!

I once said something to the effect of "I just love labels, it makes
pigeonholing people so much easier without taking the effort of
actually getting to know them."  I feel that applies to this article.

And I personally feel it'd be criminal to waste any more words on such
rubbish.

-aj.

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.