Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Infosec means NOTHING to Joe SixPack

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 01:16:55 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Jabberwocky <jabberwocky () mediasoft net>

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to respond to this, but...

It's not about computer security. It's about information security.
Computers are not what we are protecting. It's the information.
"Computer Security" is a term given by people who don't understand.

The public has never, ever, valued information. Because they are
uninformed. How can they value something that they've never held, or
dealt with? Information is probably one of the most key things to
modern life, and hell, its been important since the beginning of time.

Even the Greeks used cryptography. Hiding information, hiding troop
movements, hiding your intentions, has been a part of diplomacy and
relations sine the invention of language.

It is an abstract field of work. The things we deal with are not
really that easily understood by someone who doesn't think like we do.

"Computer security" is just a subset of information security. Will
information security win or lose wars on its own? Never. Will it ever
swing the tide one way or the other? Possibly.

The whole cyber-terrorism thing is an overused cliché being thrown
around by "computer security" experts looking for work. We don't have
to worry (much) about mass DDoS attacks against root DNS servers,
defacements, things like that.

What we have to worry about is a repeat of Cuckoos Egg like incidents.

Its not war, and its not hacking. Its espionage. Spies have never had
great importance to the general public, and they most likely never
will. When information security people realize that they'll never have
their moment in the spotlight and just go back to making sure the
enemy isn't reading "secure" transmissions from the CONUS to overseas
military bases, people can forget about us and we can go back to work.

Andrew Ruef