Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Security flaw found in Microsoft Web browser

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:12:51 -0500 (CDT)

Forwarded from: Mark Hahn <MHahn () TCBTech com>

At 05:34 AM 8/14/2002, InfoSec News wrote:

The eminent Mr Schneier must have been misquoted. What this permits
is an MITM attack, the most obscure and unlikely of the scenarios.
Passive listening is presumably unaffected, by orders of magnitude a
greater danger.  I.e., say Yes to Mallory, say No to Eve.

MICROSOFT DOWNPLAYS REPORT

Not that anyone will believe them, but in this case, it is indeed
appropriate to assure that MITM attacks are hard. This doesn't mean
that they shouldn't fix the bug, but this flaw is more embarressing
than devastating;  the fact that it took so long to find also points
out the relative lack of popularity that Mallory has in the real
world.

In my experience, a MITM attack is any thing but "obscure and
unlikely". I have built several middle-man sites for various reasons
and they are not overly complex to build. When used for a white-hat
purposes, they are called "Proxies". Add a little spam and you can
have thousands of users "using" the proxy. And, given that the "proxy"
can really use any valid certificate, you can keep any SSL-enabled
browser from complaining.

I wonder if this is a matter of experience-based perspective? I can
see how to build the MITM model and make it work, mostly. I cannot see
how to a place an eavesdropping in a location likely to get enough
traffic to make it worth while. So maybe an eavesdropping attack looks
easier to some, MITM looks easier to others?

-MpH

   --------
Mark P. Hahn, CISSP                 MHahn () TCBTech com
Chief Technical Officer             609 716 9320
TCB Technologies, Inc.              Princeton Junction, New Jersey, USA

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn'
in the BODY of the mail.