Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: [DMCA_discuss] Linux kernel security fixes censored by the DMCA

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:36:53 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Felix von Leitner <leitner () vim org>
Cc: DMCA_discuss () lists microshaft org

Thus spake InfoSec News (isn () c4i org):

I was walking through the "why would linux security patches
constitute a DMCA risk" logic and this was I came up with.

This is interesting.

(c) dissemination of that "device... or component thereof" -- i.e.
any demo code or documentation sufficient to reproduce that crack

QED -- the next time Alan visits the US, the FBI could visit him
if he does (c).

He already does.  The patches to Linux that fix the problem are enough
to document the problem.  That, in effect, makes fixing security bugs
in open source software illegal in the USA.  Think about it!

This of course brings me back to my initial worry.... just how are
we supposed to get our jobs done without legal liability and risk
of felony charges.

Not at all.  DMCA has do die a quick and painful death.

Felix

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.