Information Security News mailing list archives

RE: Comment: Hacking is not terrorism

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 04:52:54 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: The Unknown Security Person

[Just a quick note, I know that there alot of folks on this list that
would love to comment on news here, but don't like the idea of having
their name connected to the mail. Be it you're a .gov, .mil, the views
are that of yourself and not the company, but you still don't want to
be a hitting the unemployement lines, I understand. Post something,
and make it clear to me that you don't want your name connected, and I
will give you some nice psuedonym like this party above. Comments?
complaints, my feelings about feeling my first noticeable earthquake?
you should know my e-mail addy by now.  :)   - WK]

You said it!  [...a French cheese maker. It's funny! It's not
terrifying, and that's what most hacking is like...] Right, most [not
all] hacking is like that.  To my knowledge/experience, the agony and
the fear of hacking on the both national and personal interests could
be beyond fraud or abuse matter in many cases.

The same criminal behavior we saw on the 911, how the terrorist
utilized our resources against us, a modification of the destination
can be a horrifying event.  A B-52 target bin laden's head (he doesn't
deserve his name to be capitalized) but it could bomb our living rooms
instead.

An identity theft case isn't what you like to be experienced in your
lifetime.  I feel that I am only worth as much as what my credit
rating is for many strangers and I can only hold my life style at that
rating level. My credit is ruin and my resources consumed more than I
can afford by a hacking instance.  It was over 2 years ago, I still
have the same fear/nightmare that what if someone still manipulates my
personal information and acts as me. Isn't it a type of feeling of
terror?

Yep, most likely hacking wouldn't kill you with bombs or bullets.
But it would cost you more than money and/or make you angry.  It will
torture your mind and will question your integrity.  The question is
that where we should draw a line between frauds and terrorism in
hacking.  Should we draw the line at the national interest level and
ignore our identities (after all, it could be just you and me)?

I wonder whoever hacked a French cheese market would never ever hack
again. Better yet, he/she wouldn't ever hack any of 'the critical
national infrastructures.' How about instead of all the wondering, we
take hacking darn seriously and say, "it is about time we equate
hackers with terrorists."

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.