Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Counterspy

From: "Baines, Thomas B." <tbaines () ANL GOV>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:27:39 -0600

Yo Bob! Lighten up!  Two things:
 First: I suspect that I am one or two genreations older than you, and I've
seen more than one or two of these attempts at public dialectics in the face
of linguistic nominalism, and I don't believe you can win. I was a
"hotrodder" when that meant someone who had good mechanical skills and
applied them to building a desireable and high-performing auotmobile out of
junk. We never raced on public street or highways at times or places wherde
the lives of others might be jepardized.  Believe it or not, we actuall
THOUGHT about the safety of ourslves and others.  Then the term became one
of derision applied to "greaseballs" who simply drove too fast in cars with
oversized engines and little else.  Today, one must have considerable
leasure time and disposable income to play in the fields of Hot Rod
magazine, NASCAR, and the NHRA.  The term "hackers" is going through
dynamic.  Live with it.

Second: I chose to be a senior netizen and cyberuser when I was about 50.
At that time, I could hang out with youngsters from the local junior college
and tech schools who were leading the charge in creating a plugged in and
interconnective local society.  What struck me immediately was that these
kids had the same inate sense of right and wrong that my rodder buddies and
I had.  None of them thought it was cool to steal personal information or
deface someone else's database.  The mesure was who could make a box run
faster, do more, and perform omre reliably, with the cheapest components. I
grasp the the point you want make about differentiation, and I hope you can
pull it off.

Kids don't hodrod anymore because of the inherent compexities of the modern
automobile.  Perfomance and style come in a box.  Do kids turn form honest
hacking to dishonst cracking for the same reason?

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".