Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Counterspy

From: Bud Rogers <budr () SIRINET NET>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:44:43 -0600

On Wednesday 24 January 2001 12:42, Robert G. Ferrell wrote:

Language is essentially a formal consensus of its users, not a tool
to be mutated at will merely to accommodate an author's, or
the public's (perceived), paucity of vocabulary.

Now repeat after me: "Hackers are not (necessarily) criminals.
Crackers are not usually hackers. I will stop confusing the two,
because they very definitely ain't the same animal."

I agree with Robert.  Totally and without reservation.  I occasionally
have to bite my tongue in casual conversations when the term hacker
goes by.  But I am afraid that, like King Canute, we're trying to push
back the tide.

Like it or not, the term hacker has entered the popular imagination
with a meaning much closer to what we might refer to as cracker.  I
don't like it either, but I don't think there is much we can do about
it.  This is a common process in the evolution of popular language.
Whenever a minority group of any kind attracts the attention of the
masses their jargon gets assimilated and redefined, usually in
unflattering ways.

--
Bud Rogers <budr () sirinet net>   http://www.sirinet.net/~budr/zamm.html
    All things in moderation.  And not too much moderation either.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---