Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers attack HP, Compaq, others

From: InfoSec News <isn () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:37:03 -0600

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-4837854.html?tag=lh

By CNET News.com Staff
February 15, 2001, 3:00 p.m. PT

SINGAPORE--A group of Internet vandals calling themselves Sm0ked Crew
has hit the Web sites of technology giants such as Hewlett-Packard,
Compaq Computer, Gateway and Intel.

Other victims include AltaVista and Disney's Go.com.

Late Wednesday, Attrition.org, an independent organization that
records hacking incidents, reported that Sm0ked Crew had defaced HP's
e-learning site, a Compaq Europe, Middle East and Africa page, and one
of Alta Vista's shopping sites.

When contacted, a Singapore-based HP spokeswoman said she could not
provide further details on the hacking.

Compaq Asia-Pacific spokesman Choy Boon Yew confirmed that the defaced
site belonged to its EMEA business unit.

"Our corporate office has identified and isolated the site...further
investigations are being carried out. From our initial understanding,
this is an extremely minor site. We have checked all our major sites,
and they are in perfect condition," Choy said in an e-mail response
Wednesday evening.

Wednesday morning, the affected HP and Compaq sites still carried a
message from the hackers: "Admin, You just got Sm0ked. This site was
hacked by Sm0ked crew. Hacked by splurge and The-Rev. Greetz dislexik,
nouse, system33r, italguy, B_Real and anyone I forgot,
sm0kedcrew () hushmail com."

Last December, HP Hong Kong's Web site was defaced by another group
called "antihackerlink" with the message: "The Satan of Bill is Here!"

AltaVista spokeswoman Tracy Roberts acknowledged that one of the
company's sites had been hacked but could not provide further details.

According to an Attrition.org report Tuesday, Sm0ked Crew had hacked
into a server belonging to Intel, which provides Web access to product
support documents.

"A server linked to Support.Intel.com was hacked in the morning of
February 13 in the U.S.," Intel Asia spokeswoman Wendy Toh confirmed
in an e-mail.

"The server has been removed from our network, and we are working to
restore the service in the next few hours," she said, claiming that
there was "no confidential, financial or Intel employee information on
this site...there was also no business impact."

"Intel is currently investigating the incident, and we're not prepared
to discuss specifics," Toh added.

Sm0ked Crew left this message for Intel: "Owned by sm0ked crew.
The-Rev gives another admin a nice headache. Greets to DownKaos -
ApocalypseDow - datagram - gM - blachz - B_Real - pimpshiz. Intel is
blocking my HTML transfer so no pretty webpage, sorry. Questions,
e-mail me at sm0kedcrew () hushmail com. Hi Blackdog."

Apart from the hackings, the defaced HP, Compaq, AltaVista and Intel
sites had another thing in common--the operating system in question
was Windows NT and the Web server IIS/4.0.

Microsoft was not immediately available for comment.

According to Attrition.org, Sm0ked Crew also defaced the following
sites in February: CompUSA, Louisiana State University Medical Center,
Taipei City Government, Terra Lycos, Board of Foreign Trade (Taiwan),
and University of South Florida.

ISN is hosted by SecurityFocus.com
---
To unsubscribe email LISTSERV () SecurityFocus com with a message body of
"SIGNOFF ISN".