Information Security News mailing list archives

Re: Cyber terrorism is 'fantasy'

From: InfoSec News <isn () c4i org>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 01:47:56 -0600 (CST)

Forwarded from: Dan Verton <Dan_Verton () computerworld com>

<<It wasn't the bombs themselves that caused the downfall of the
Soviets, but the threat of their use that did it.  One has to step
back and see the forest, not just the trees or the twigs.>> John
Ellingson, CEO, Edentification, Inc.>>

John, I would argue that even today, in an age of cyber warfare
tactics (i.e. Kosovo, to a certain extent Desert Storm, Bosnia, and
unconfirmed reports that cyber tactics are being planned against
networked air defense systems in Afghanistan) that deterrence is still
measured in Curise Missiles, not bits and bytes.

One of the things that has been missed in studies of 20th century U.S.
military and foreign policy has been the subtle changes that have
taken place in the effectiveness of the U.S. power projection -- a key
element of our foreign policy. That shift has been the need in recent
years to actually go the one step further and take action, whereas in
the past it was almost always enough to send an aircraft carrier to a
region to convince country XYZ that we meant business. Despite the
overwhelming advantgae that we enjoy in conventional (non-cyber)
capabilities, our adversaries are increasingly opting to force us to
act. And that most often means physical destruction, men on the
ground. If you know how to draw a line in the sand with a mouse that
will stop a determined army, let me know. I could use the money from
that patent. :-)

Dan Verton

-
ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

To unsubscribe email majordomo () attrition org with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
of the mail.