Information Security News mailing list archives

Sample of Chinese Bank Intelligence.

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 23:16:56 -0500

Well after posting this earlier in the week, We have had a few
inquires on if this is real or not, So taking my daily peek at the
latest intelligence documents flinched from around the world comes
this posting below.

I would be curious if anyone on the list can translate from Chinese to
English what the Excel document says.

Cheers!

William Knowles
wk () c4i org

BTW - One million Yuan at the market close to exchange into U.S.
Dollars is $120,781.70

-- Fwd from Cryptome.org --

http://cryptome.org/cn-bank-sample.htm

Cryptome has received a file of alleged "bank intelligence" in
response to a request to an anonymous party for a sample to
verify value and authenticity. The file is an Excel spreadsheet which
includes characters that are allegedly Chinese but are not
displayed in an English version of Excel. See:

     http://cryptome.org/cn-bank-sample.xls  (46K)

Cryptome welcomes translation of the characters and an explanation of
what the spreadsheet shows.

The anonymous party asks that "NBS" not be able to trace the offering.
What is "NBS?"

The party claims that the total bank intelligence being offered for
sale is worth "1000000.00 yuans and more." How much is
that in US dollars?

Send responses to: jya () pipeline com

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC