Information Security News mailing list archives

MS hacker gets in touch with The Reg

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:51:06 -0600

By: Kieren McCarthy

The hacker that worked his way into Microsoft's servers through a
known security hole has contacted The Reg to refute a claim we made
yesterday that he was lying about hacking into M$' servers for a
second time.

We were skeptical about Dimitri's claim that he had re-entered the
servers through the same route five days after his initial hack, even
though Microsoft had developed the patch for the hole back in August.
Dimitri (Dimitri Van de Giessen, apparently) claimed he had uploaded a
file called Oopsididitagain, a reference to a Britney Spears song. In
the file he spoke of enjoying the pop star's concert in the
Netherlands that weekend.

The email read: "I really laught when I read your article. So you
think I'm bluffing?" A link was then given to hack mirror site
Attrition which confirmed his side of the story. The hack message, put
up on Microsoft's events Web site, ran: "Patching your systems is very
hard huh. MSG to Britney Spears. I loved your concert in the
netherlands."

We asked Dimitri if he'd like to send us the encypted file of
adminstrative user names and passwords that he said he'd picked up
while inside Microsoft. He said he would on the condition that we get
Britney to call him and provided us with his phone number. Our Lucy is
perfecting her American drawl as we speak.

He also confirmed that he had been in touch with Microsoft in the
Netherlands after its requests to do so after the second hack.

And so we apologise to Dimitri for having the audacity to doubt his
side of the story (even though it sounded well dodgy). We still think
he's a naughty boy for hacking in in the first place though.

[Attriton archive of the events.microsoft.com hack, and alot less
graphic than say the Yankees defacement. :)  -WK]

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/11/07/events.microsoft.com/OopsIdidItAgain.htm

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC