Information Security News mailing list archives

Yankees' Web site hacking traced

From: William Knowles <wk () C4I ORG>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 03:23:00 -0600

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-3595531.html?tag=st.ne.1005.thed.ni

By The Associated Press
Special to CNET News.com
November 8, 2000, 9:50 p.m. PT

BLACKSBURG, Va.--Federal authorities have traced a hacker who posted
lewd photos and sayings on the New York Yankees' Web site to a
computer at Virginia Tech.

School officials, however, believe the hacker used their computer as a
decoy.

"We don't believe, and I don't think the FBI believes, that anybody on
campus had anything to do with it," Virginia Tech spokesman Larry
Hincker said Wednesday.

The hacking took place Oct. 27, the morning after the Yankees clinched
their third consecutive World Series title, special agent Joe
Valiquette of the FBI's New York office said.

The Yankees called the FBI, which launched an investigation.

"There are several leads that we're following, but no one has been
charged," Valiquette said. "We really can't get into any details about
the investigation."

Authorities traced the culprit to a computer in Virginia Tech's
electrical engineering department, but the university believes that
computer also had been hacked into.

The school is cooperating in the investigation, Hincker said.

[Yankees Defacement Archived at Attrition.org
CAUTION: Graphic photograph, You're not missing much!   -WK]

http://www.attrition.org/mirror/attrition/2000/10/27/www.yankees.com/

"Communications without intelligence is noise;  Intelligence
without communications is irrelevant." Gen Alfred. M. Gray, USMC